When I think of enjoying a dessert, on a whim, it needs to satisfy three criteria – delicious to eat, nice, creamy texture, and easy to prepare. Now that I need to watch my weight, low-calorie and healthy has also joined the list. So I was genuinely happy when one of my friends introduced me to this Chocolate Pudding recipe, which includes Tofu in the ingredient list. Surprised?? I was too, and did not have much hope about how it would taste. But I have to say, it was at least 90% similar to an actual creamy Chocolate Mousse. And if I have to sacrifice the remaining 10% for the sake of lower calories, high protein and healthy alternative, I would gladly do that. So here’s to an easy dessert that is actually good for your body! [photo by Scott Philips via fine cooking]
Chocolate Mousse with Tofu
Makes 6 servings
2 cups chocolate chips
2-12 oz packages silken tofu, at room temp
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
In a microwave safe bowl, heat chips at 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
Put tofu into a blender and process until smooth. It is important for the tofu to be at room temperature here, not chilled. Otherwise the melted chocolate may seize up into tiny, crunchy bits. And you will not achieve the silky, smooth consistency.
Add melted chocolate to the blended tofu, along with milk and sugar. Process until smooth. Keep pouring the m,ilk in batches, don’t throw in the whole thing at the same time, add as much as you need so the pudding remains nice and thick, yet smooth.
Pour into dessert cups and refrigerate until ready to serve. Top it with cherries, nuts or more chocolate chips before serving.
- Tofu Stir Fry With Cashews in Teriyaki Sauce
- Healthy Chocolate Fudge Cake with Avocado Frosting
- Mousse-Filled Chocolate & Raspberry Cups
- Pumpkin Mousse
- Chocolate Truffles – Recipe & Variations
- Fat & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 10-Minute Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe For The Holiday Season
- Best Vegan Brownie Recipe